Friday, June 9, 2017

Three Dog Redemption




Three Dog Night – Danny Hutton (l), Chuck Negron, and
Cory Wells – had 12 gold albums and 21 straight Top 40
hits between 1969 and 1975.
When I go to concerts, I like sitting as close to the stage as possible. I like watching the faces of the performers – Who’s into it and who’s just mailing it in? Do they like playing together? Is the music a joy or a job?

I was lucky enough to get front row seats for last summer’s Happy Together tour – half a dozen acts from the ’60s and ’70s, resurrecting our teen years and reanimating our memories. A Baby-Boomer time machine, at least in theory. It’s hard to expect much from singers nearly 50 years past their prime. 

The revue was huge fun but, as expected, some skills had eroded. A couple of the headliners disguised their rusted pipes by replacing singing with phrasing. One old star looked a bit frightened. But many still “had it.” Flo and Eddie – The Turtles – were loads of fun. The Cowsills, especially Susan, sounded great and had a blast. (Updates following the 2017 Jacksonville show are below.)


Chuck Negron performing with Paul Cowsill (l), Susan 
Cowsill, and Billy J. Kramer during the 2016 Happy
Together tour stop in Jacksonville, Fla.
Then there was Chuck Negron. 

I had no idea what to expect from the old Three Dog Night veteran. When I heard the band some 30 years earlier, Negron was a no-show. His bandmates asked fans for prayers, saying he was seriously sick and in rehab. What was he doing here now? Was he in any shape to sing? Maybe a sympathetic promoter wanted to help him pay a few bills. 

It took just a couple of notes to realize sympathy had nothing to do with it. From any seat in the house, it was obvious Negron’s voice was just as strong as ever. From “Shambala,” to “Joy to the World,” to “Celebrate,” it was fit and powerful, as though immune to age and abuse. From my seat in the front row, though, my eyes were just as surprised as my ears. 

The Chuck Negron who walked out on stage was unrecognizable. Gone was the flowing, shoulder-length hair I still envied after all these years. (Oops – Thou shalt not covet the rock star’s locks.) The huge mustache was trimmed to half its original size. Once rail thin, Negron had a body-builder’s outline under his white jacket. Something else about him, though, grabbed my attention. 

Negron was beaming. His face emanated pure joy. It was unmistakable. “There's a good story here,” I thought. 

By God, there is...

“My dream was to be a successful musician, singer, and I became that,” Negron told me this week in a phone interview. “But I squandered the beauty of that and lost even my family.”

Negron hadn’t just been “seriously sick and in rehab.” He had stolen from family and friends. He had lived on the streets in a cardboard box. Beaten and robbed, left in back alleys, lying in his blood and vomit. By 1991, Negron had been in 37 different drug rehabilitation facilities – many of them multiple times. His last stop was an in-patient facility in Los Angeles.

“I was kicking a 27-year heroin habit,” Negron said. “In this place at that time, there was no detox, no methadone, nothing. You kicked cold.”


Chuck Negron was “messed up all the
time” with Three Dog Night. “I had
no experience touring as a healthy
human being.”
Negron hadn’t slept in weeks. His body and mind were kept awake by the relentless and excruciating pain of heroin withdrawal. A musician friend told Negron to pray to God for help.

Nothing else had worked. Negron was truly at the end of the line. This latest stint in rehab was his last chance. With no money, no place to go, and life-threatening health complications from nearly three decades of drug abuse, death was lurking.

“I got down on my knees and I prayed,” Negron recalled. “My first words were, ‘Please, let me die,’ because I didn’t want to go on. And then I asked, ‘Please give me a minute of relief.’ Then I got up, sat on my bed, and I fell asleep.

“I slept a couple of hours and, when I woke up, the pain had been removed. And I knew right then that God had done for me what I could not do for myself in all those years. It wasn’t just a physical thing, it was a spiritual thing. God had intervened and changed my life.”

Doctors had once told Negron that, even if he beat his addiction, his body was so damaged he still might not survive. And even if he survived, he could never sing again. Yet, he celebrated his 75th birthday yesterday, the day before this year’s Happy Together tour's first stop. And, although he wears special glasses that deliver oxygen to overcome his emphysema, his voice is as strong as ever.

“I’m 25 years sober,” Negron said. “Anyone who sees me performing now knows I love it, knows I’m filled up with joy. I’m doing something I’m so grateful to be able to do. It’s a very special thing.”

As a child of the ’60s, my 21st century phone is loaded with songs that are more than 40 and 50 years old. So, yes, I’ll be back in the front row for Sunday’s Happy Together tour stop, pretending away any little ache or pain. Pretending that every singer sounds exactly as they did half-a-century ago. And hearing at least one singer who really does sound the same. When Chuck Negron sings “Joy to the World” now, the joy of God’s grace is splashed all over his face.

###



Notes following the Jacksonville show on 6/11/17:

     1) To be fair, every artist in this year's line-up really did sound the same. Any rust the artists may have accumulated over the years has been knocked-off, polished and buffed. 

Chuck Negron performing "Joy to the
World" during the 2017 Happy Together
tour, June 11, in Jacksonville, Fla.
     2) Chuck Negron is a 75-year old man who suffers from COPD and emphysema. Seventy-five-year-old men with COPD and emphysema get winded walking 10 steps from the couch to the bathroom. During his set, Chuck had to catch his breath while chatting up the audience after his third song, a powerful version of “One.” As a college professor who has taught announcing and its physiology to TV news students, I was bracing for a disaster. Instead, Chuck absolutely killed his finale - “Joy to the World.” He hit every sustained note with full power, earning a huge standing ovation from an audience largely ignorant of his breathing disabilities. Yes, he had help from the hidden oxygen supplement, but that performance was also a “God thing.”


18 comments:

  1. What a "joy" to read this story on a couple of levels. Three Dog Night is still a favorite band and now destined to become a new Pandora station this weekend. JOY always a crowd-pleaser from 70's high school Swing Choir days. How wonderful to be reminded of that. And the topper: God's work in Mr. Negron's life is stunning. May he remain true to giving God the glory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Barb. I didn't know about Pandora... thanks for that, too. What I found most amazing - although maybe I shouldn't have - was that his face radiated such joy at last year's show, it had to be a "God thing." It was obvious in his voice on the phone, too; he sounded like an excited kid, not a guy in his mid-70s. Yes, "stunning" is the perfect description!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the blog. I am not a Three Dog Night fan nor am I a popular concert goer. But I enjoyed reading Negron's story and it warmed my heart to hear of God at work in his life. May there be more stories like his for us to ponder as we celebrate God's greatness and mercy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Susana. What I find most wonderful is that, even though we are all so very different, God is always there for anyone and everyone who asks. And, yes, as you know I'm always looking for great stories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is too far for me to travel anywhere the Happy Together Tour is but I am glad to see the performances on YouTube. Chuck Negron's story of the top in music, the bottom falling down/out, then his heart and health being healed by prayers. I pray for him - he is an inspiration for me as I suffer from COPD watching what he has done through the power of faith in God, strength in himself so I feel my own prayers for myself such as Chuck Negron's were, will find me. I do not have his voice, but I love to sing with him. And for God. What a wonderful story of faith. Thank you, Peter. Thank you so much, Mr. Negron, for sharing your faith...I have a tomorrow also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks much for the comment. I think the best thing about inspirational stories such as Chuck’s is that they can be examples for the rest of us. To hear the power of his voice despite his struggles with emphysema and COPD can redefine “limits…” and God’s grace… for the rest of us.

      Delete
  6. I read Three Dog Nightmare by Chuck. I admire him for NOT sugar coating things if making them seem as something cool that rock stars do. He told his whole story, and shared the good and bad.

    I have always lived the music �� that Three Dig Night made. I hope to see them make it to The Rick and Roll Hall of Fame. They are long over due.

    Hopefully Danny and Chuck can bury the hatchet, forgive and get back out there as Three Dog Night. Life's too short.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for writing, James. I agree with your thoughts on the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. In our interview, Chuck had only praise for Cory and Danny. If nothing else, he sounds as though he is open to “burying the hatchet” on a personal level. I think a professional collaboration may be too complicated by lawyers and contracts.

      Delete
  7. I heard Chuck sing a few years ago, but didn't know his story back then. God has truly been merciful to him, and I praise Jesus Christ that Chuck is on his way to Heaven when he dies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to comment. Chuck’s story is such a wonderful testimony of God’s grace. One thing that didn’t make it into my original story was the way he talked about his daughters Charlie and Annabelle – how grateful he was that they have only seen him sober and straight, and how proud he is as a father to have been able to record an album with them. Those of us with daughters understand that completely!

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing survivor. Fellow 3 dog night singers not all so lucky. Singers need to take care of voices and health. Chuck was silly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing survivor. Fellow 3 dog night singers not all so lucky. Singers need to take care of voices and health. Chuck was silly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi GEB... thanks for commenting. Yes, I guess you could call Chuck "silly..." but you can also call him human. We don't know what kind of decisions we would have made given the exact same genetic programming and same life circumstances. There's something else, too - Sometimes God uses exceptionally talented, high-profile people as examples of his love, grace, and redemption. A lot of people have been moved by Chuck's story. If you or I traveled that same path, there's no way our stories would have had such widespread impact... because we're not famous or well-known. (At least I assume you are not; I KNOW I'm not!) It's all part of God's perfect balance.

      Delete
  11. Thank you for posting THREE DOG REDEMPTION. I thought I was seeing things whenever I saw him doing an interview. He looks truly full of joy! He seems so very happy.Bless the Lord for having mercy on him! What an inspiration. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry for the delayed response - I've been trying to juggle bowling balls and carving knives lately. What you were seeing teends to confirm something important about the Holy Spirit - He's really there for everyone; all we need to do is recognize him! (I just wish I knew who YOU are - still, thank you!)

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow a powerful story and right God helped u Chuck. Man I loved the person the singer the voice , good looks. You have it all. No wonder God loved u so and still. See drugs are not more powerful than God. Nothing is. I loved the band but u were my fav. You guys were about peace and God knew that too. He knew u had alot of demand on your plate and u tried something for relief and many people think they can just stop drugs but then they realize the hook.Im so proud of u Chuck. That's the best most powerful drug story I've heard and how strong u were to overcome all that and lovingly with God. He loves people. Three dog night has been my fav rock band from the time I've known and heard that great sound. God loves music too as it's all through the Bible , it's encouraged and no doubt he loved your great sounds also. A God of love he is. I'm a forever fan and won't ever stop. You have truly been blessed.

    ReplyDelete